Welcome to my wargaming blog. Within these pages I will chronicle the exploits of our little Portland, Oregon wargaming group. Our interests flow from medieval to modern gaming. I hope you enjoy our little corner of this wonderful hobby.
This listing includes Japanese and US Marines for WWII. They are a mix of Peter Pig and Old Glory. There are 4 American Tanks, 3 Japanese Tanks, 200 Japanese Infantry and 96 US Marines. They are either based in groups of 2, 3 or 4 figures per base. The color beads on the back of the base denote what squad they belong too. Easily to rebase for other rule sets. These were primarily used for Chain of Command and I Ain't Been Shot Mum!. So a total of 296 infantry and 7 tanks. A good starter or addition to any existing army.
This week submission contains 11 War of Spanish Succession troops. These are Foundry figures. I've painted them like the "Old Yellow" uniforms for the Spanish. Also I painted these with oil paints and this was my attempt at painting troops in mass with oil paints.
I have no idea if the commander of this group had a green jacket or not but I liked it so I went with it.
I still have to work on painting flesh at this scale. I haven't found a good technique I like.
Part II of my work in progress of the French Musketeer. Well if you remember from my previous post I wasn't able to get the hair to match up. With some advice from the Military Modeling forum, I cut off the ears of the Musketeer and the hair fit nicely. You can also see from the below shots how much filler I had to use. I still have to fill the seam on the back of the hair.
I was able to get the lower part of his body together. The amount of gaps and uneven casting with this model is amazing. Even the fold of the boots don't match up well. I still have to add putty to fill those gaps.
The Torso and arms weren't too bad but the arms need some attention too. Nothing on this model matches up well at all.
I have a lot of flash to clean up on the hands, sword, sword hilt and other pieces. I'm hoping to get to prime this sometime next week. Weather permitting.
My wife, for Christmas, gave me a present which was another Miniart 1/16 scale figure. This one is the French Musketeer. I'm going to do a series on putting this thing together. Maybe it will be helpful to someone in the future.
To start off with the head comes in 3 pieces. Two halves are the side, neck and back of the skull. The other piece is the face. You have two choose from in the box. There are gaps that have to be filled with putty when putting the two side halves together. Once you put the face on nothing lines up. I had to build a chin, create a jaw line and just fill holes where the pieces don't meet up.
The white is the putty I added. Everything is being held together with blue tack.
Now the hair! The hair comes in two pieces as well but once you line up the hair at the front of the face there's a huge hole at the back! See above photo! If you shift the hair back it doesn't look right because his hair will start almost behind his ear in order for the two pieces to meet up. I have no idea how to cover or fix this.
Over the last week and half I was able to finish 4 more Spanish battalions. Please give a nice warm hand to the Guadalajara, de la Armada, Cordova battalions and the Valladolid Grenadier battalion. They have made hard journey to the battlefield and they will not be denied their right to fight!
Again all of the flags are speculative and taken from what I could piece together from various sources.
I have 9 more Spanish battalions to finish up and the infantry for the French/Spanish side will be done!
So I've been working on my first large scale figure. A Miniart 1/16th scale knight. I had purchased this a few years ago at a Oregon model show and I've finally got the nerve up to try and paint it. So all of my oil paint practicing has led me to this. I'm happy with how the model turned out paint wise. The figure itself was a pain to put together and was not well made at all. It is all plastic and most of the parts did not fit together with out lots of work and putty. The decals were extremely brittle and most of them tore when attempting to apply them.
Two new Spanish battalions have arrived, the Granda and Cuenca units are ready to fight the British, Dutch and Portuguese.
It amazes me that there is so little information on the Spanish for this timer period as they were the focal point of the entire war. Having said this I have to confide in you all that the flags are speculative. I took an idea and ran with it. I couldn't find anything on these units outside of their uniform colors. Oh well.